Just wanted to know doesn't the use of "LIMIT 1 " optimise it.

select count(*) from component where category='natural' limit 1

Chetana.

----- Original Message ----
From: Igor Tandetnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: SQLite <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 5, 2006 5:28:23 AM
Subject: [sqlite] Re: Re: Testing For Empty Table

Rich Shepard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   I want the latter case. In other words, if there are no records
> where 'category = "natural"' nothing should be returned. It would be
> nice if there was a return value that told me explicitly "no records
> match the where".

You could write

select exists (select * from component where category='natural');

This produces a singleton result (single row, single column). The only
cell of this result contains integer 1 if there are indeed rows with
category='natural' in table component, and 0 if there are none.

I still don't understand why you want to "look before you leap", so to
speak. Why not just run the query

select * from component where category='natural';

and handle the case where it produces an empty result set?

Igor Tandetnik