Michael Sizaki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What surprises me, is that the temp file is not kept in
> cache. I have 2GB of memory and much bigger files can be
> kept in cache. Why is sqlite "hitting the disk"?  What is
> going on here? The maximum file cache needed would be 70 MB
> for the database + 75 MB for the temp table. 150MB is
> nothing on a 2GB system.

When writing to TEMP files, SQLite uses ordinary disk I/O
operations.  And it never calls FlushFileBuffers().  So
it is not a question of SQLite hitting the disk but rather
your operating system.  Why isn't windows able to cache
a 150MB file when you have 2GB of RAM?  I don't know, but
I don't think it has anything to do with SQLite.

Perhaps someone with more windows experience can correct
me if my assertion above is incorrect.  Are there some
special flags that SQLite could pass to CreateFileW() to
trick windows into doing a better job of caching temp
files?

--
D. Richard Hipp  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>