Consider having multiple databases. One can have all the read only tables for example and will therefore always be available for reading. Dynamic tables would be in another.

You can increase the granularity by having more databases, perhaps as many as one per dynamic table, depending on the intricacy of your relations.

Even if you end up with four or five databases that is only three or four extra files with Sqlite, still far fewer files than if you were using a large scale database.

Florian Weimer wrote:
* Ken:

Would the reader be blocked by the writer?

Yes.

Would the writer be blocked by the reader?

Yes.

However, depending on the size of the transactions this may not be an
issue.

I guess I'm unclear what I can/cant do using sqlite and how to gain
as much performance as possible.

If your database isn't too large, and you aren't running on Windows,
you could make a copy of the database before updating it, so that
readers and the writer work on different databases.