From: John Stanton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:24 AM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: Re: [sqlite] multiuser DB on network share

An Sqlite redirector which runs as a daemon on the machine
hosting the
DB and has an API which provides the Sqlite API calls for
remote clients
would solve these networking problems and maintain application code
compatibility.  The sqlite3_open call would detect that the DB was
remote and the rest would be handled by the library.

A model would be the way Samba provides an SMB connection to
a Unix file
system for SMB clients.

An sophistication would be to also implement the standard SQL/CLI API
(also known as ODBC).  This approach would not only make the
networking
nightmares disappear but also give seamless integration with ODBC
applications.

Dr Gerard Hammond wrote:

Daniel Önnerby wrote:
> So what you are saying is that opening a SQLite DB on a

shared network

> drive SHOULD work with multiple clients (if all servers and
NFS-version
> are updated to most recent version)?

I have found that accessing a FileMaker Pro DB file, on a

shared network

drive, simultaneously from a Mac (via AFP over IP) and PC

(via SMB),

leads to an immediate corruption of the file. Nice.

I hope the SQLIte db file doesn't suffer the same behaviour

by assuming

a single network protocol-level locking mechanism.