From: Will Leshner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 12:42 PM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Is there a way to turn off -journal files?

On 1/15/07, Dave Gierok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm building the Sqlite lib using the preprocessor definition TEMP_STORE=3,
> but I still notice that temporary '-journal' files are being created/deleted
> when running queries that will modify the DB.  I thought that the
> TEMP_STORE=3 was supposed to disable these temporary files that get created.

-journal files are an integral part of SQLite's ACID-ity, and as such,
they can't be turned off or otherwise avoided.

> How can I build/use Sqlite such that these temporary files do not get
> created?  I am running on Xbox360 and perf/storage are critical because the
> DB can be stored to a memory card (not much storage).

I wonder if this might work: keep the database on disk, but when using
it, always use it from an in-memory version. You could open an
in-memory database, attach the on-disk version, and then copy all the
data from the on-disk version to the in-memory version. Hmm.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to copy the data back out to the
on-disk version without the -journal file getting created, so maybe
this isn't such a great idea after all. If it were possible to
serialize the in-memory database as save it as a raw binary stream,
then it might work. But I don't think there is a way to do that.