From: John Stanton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 1:56 PM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: Re: [sqlite] DROP INDEX not freeing up memory

Dave Gierok wrote:

(I'm resending this, as I have not seen it posted the first time I sent -
apologies if it gets posted twice)

I am running an in-memory db and am using the functionality where we override
all the OS calls such that we implement our own memory management and file IO.
Therefore, I am able to easily track the amount of memory Sqlite is taking up.
I have noticed that when I call CREATE INDEX and then the corresponding DROP
INDEX, I do not see the memory drop to the same level as it was before the
CREATE INDEX.  I also call VACUUM after DROP INDEX, which makes no difference.

Is this expected, or does it sound like a bug in Sqlite?

Thanks,
Dave

What happens if you create and drop the index again?  Do that to see if
you are just seeing an effect of assigning cache on the first operation.