Every version of SQLite will read and write databases generated by
all prior version of SQLite going back to 3.0.0.  The reverse is

That's odd then, since my db was made with 3.3.8, but a ruby gem made
with 3.3.10 gave me this "unsupported file format" error when it tried
to read it.

At least, that is what the problem appeared to be. As soon as I
upgraded my tools to 3.3.10, and recreated the db, the precompiled
sqlite3-gem suddenly read it with no errors.

Mike