Hi again Bill,

Following up on:

OSX comes with sqlite already installed. A guy named "Adam Bell" wrote a sample AppleScript that showed how to access sqlite, create, search, modify, etc from within AppleScript issuing the commands directly to any one of the Unix Shells. Basically I can have AppleScript open a shell, issue a numbe of commands, retrieve the results, massage them, etc, and close the shell when done, or I can run shell commands in the background so the user never sees the shell itself, which is what I will be doing.

I assume you refer to the article at:
http://macscripter.net/articles/436_0_10_0_C/
Yes, that's an interesting article.

And as I mentioned in my previous post:
There's a good article on using "do shell script" (and issuing shell commands in one line) at:
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2065.html

SQLite is built in to Mac OS X (as of Mac OS X 10.4, maybe earlier). It's used by a range of applications. For instance, in Apple's Mail program, you can open the index file of all your mail as a standard SQLite file via:
sqlite3 '~/Library/Mail/Envelope Index'

Does anyone know of other specific Mac files in SQLite format?

I've seen that Apple's developer framework for "Core Data" is also based on SQLite, although it seems to add a layer of its own database management system, obscuring direct SQL usage.

Since SQLite is so integrated into the Mac OS, I expected a more direct way to access SQLite from AppleScript, than having to go via "do shell script". I've been told by a few on this list, and seen for myself, that accessing SQLite via the command line tool sqlite3 is somewhat limited. And parsing the output can be relatively slow.

If anyone can show a better way to access an SQLite database file from AppleScript, I'd love to see it. Please :-)

Thanks,
Tom