"James Dennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On a related but separate note, is there any standard that guarantees
> that casting -1 to a function pointer type is reasonably portable?  My
> experience is that it doesn't cause problems, but certainly it's not
> portable C or C++ from the viewpoint of the language standards.  That's
> a separate issue though. The portable way would be to provide a real
> function for SQLITE_TRANSIENT to point to, but still have it recognized
> as a special case.  Would there be any interest in a patch to make that
> change?

Having SQLITE_TRANSIENT point to a real function is perhaps a
good idea.  The problem is such a change would break backwards
compatibility of the API.  Somebody who compiled against an
older SQLite and who drops in a newer DLL with this change will
find that their code no longer works.  This is something we work
very hard to avoid.
--
D. Richard Hipp  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>