What I'd ultimately like to do, and what I used to do with a sproc, is the
following

Pass a string to a sproc, it'll select from table where field = string
value, and if no records insert it and grab last inserted id.

That way with one call, I can ensure one string in db, and always get the an
id back.

Is there a way i can do this with sqlite 3 latest?

Looks like there is SOME sort of concept of this with views (xp_proc) with
parameters etc, but I cant really find any documentation etc.

Anyone have any advice for a sqlite newb?

Thanks in advance.