Thanks!  This is indeed a big help. I hope to be able to get back to
this project in the next few days.  The sources I got have the .def
file.  Are the 'development headers' a product of the build process?

I'm not sure I'm getting your question right. If you have the sources,
you already have the development headers. In fact, those *.h files in
the source tree are the "development headers" and all *.c files have
the implementation of all functions defined in the header files.
Once the library is compiled, you can "separate" files in the library
and "development files" to package and distribute them but, when you
have the source, as in your case, you have all you need there.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, if so, please ignore what I said.

Cheers.

--
Leonardo Mateo.
There's no place like ~