On Feb 2, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Clark Christensen wrote:

FWIW, I'm not convinced Samba has locking working correctly. Using a very recent Samba version, I managed to corrupt a SQLite database last fall by (I think) doing simultaneous writes from the Linux host box, and my WinXP client box (via a SMB drive map). I'm guessing the XP writes started first. It seems unlikely it would have happened had the Linux host started first.

This is a situation where you really need all file locking managed by the operating system, or you need to access the file only via a single mechanism (e.g. only via SMB, even on the Linux host box from which the SMB mount is exported).

If you have clients accessing a file via different remote mechanisms, these mechanisms *may not* share an underlying locking infrastructure, which can easily lead to corruption. Only if they are *guaranteed to* share an underlying locking infrastructure is it safe to access a file that requires any sort of locking via multiple different remote mechanisms. This is a general issue with any shared-access remote filesystem and any operating system, not something specific to SQLite, NFS, SMB, Windows, or Linux.

  -- Chris