--- Shane Harrelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2/5/07, Dennis Cote <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Shane Harrelson wrote:
> > > Perform 50 transactions of 1000 inserts each (50000 total).
> > >

> > Shane,
> >
> > Is this your normal usage pattern? Inserting records in blocks of around
> > 1000 per transaction. Or would you be more likely to insert using 1000
> > transactions of 50 records, or perhaps only a single record per transaction?
> >
> > Dennis Cote
> >

> Yes, it's typical.   Each database instance is typically composed of
> around 50k records, all inserted in a single pass.  If I could do
> larger transactions (or not do them at all) I would, for if I
> encounter an error I have to discard all records - my application is
> extremely non-fault tolerant.
>
> Is there anyway to disable journaling completely?  I'm not certain
> that for my application it gains me anything.

50k records is nothing. Just sort it entirely in memory outside of the
database and blast in the results via just plain inserts in the two tables
in sorted order so sqlite will always perform a table append and not
have to shuffle the pages around. It will be significantly faster if you
handle the conflicts yourself in your code in memory using STL or a
conventional data structure than using a general purpose database such
as SQLite.