Save into a blob.

thanks but that's not what I meant.
I'll try to explain with an example:

I want to create this database

Persons
 - Name
 - Birthday
 - Picture

Now when I want to view this database with a general database browser / manager,
I'll first find out what tables there are in this database,
Secondly I'm going to ask for an overview of each table by, that will be displayed in a flat table (2-dimensional matrix)
 SELECT   *   FROM   Persons
Now the browser sees the blob field at displays  is something like "{blob}"

So I assume, that the browser get's all the data, including all the bits and bytes of each image in each record, so a whole lot of not-needed data, because the database browser / manager can con display 1 picture from a selected record.

So I think, it would be more efficient to create 2 tables:

Persons
 - Name
 - Birthday
 - ID ("this is a picture")

Blobs
 - Name
 - Picture

Now if I ask for the main table "Persons", I just get an ID (some integer), that tells me that there is a picture. The browser / manager can ask for just one record from the table Blobs, to show me the picture of the selected line.

I've never seen such a construct in examples, so maybe I see ghosts where there are none.

forgive me my ignorance.
cheers,
Stef Mientki

here is a C example http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=BlobExample