Hello All,

You also have to accept that, if it's on the user's PC and they REALLY
want that data, they can get it. They don't even need to crack the
encryption. They just need to figure out what key the program's using
to unlock the DB. There's absolutely no way to protect data that's
stored on someone else's PC. Just look at DVD's, HD DVD and Blu-Ray
disks. Millions spent on security, cracked within months of release.

JS> One way or another you have to apply sweat or treasure to protect your
JS> data asset.  Just how valuable is it?

JS> mxs wrote:
>> Thanks Ulrich, but I think that goes beyond the scope of my knowledge and
>> tools I have available to me.
>>
>> I wish somebody (who has C++ knowledge) has done it already and released
>> version of SQLite with encrypt and decrypt functionality. I cannot believe
>> that there is not more need for it between SQLite users. You make it sound
>> like it shouldn't be a problem for someone who knows C++. But I am expecting
>> a catch somewhere, otherwise why would there be commercial versions of
>> SQLite which has this functonality.
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestion anyways.
>>
>> If you don't mind one more off topic question. You seem to have experience
>> with wxWidgets. In tandem with wxPython is that a better tool to use than
>> just Python and Tkinter. Which route is the easier one for a beginner in
>> this language?
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> Marek
>>

>> Ulrich Telle wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Marek,

>>>Well, wxWidgets _is_ free of Microsoft and is available for many different
>>>platforms. But it wasn't my intent to point you in the direction of
>>>wxWidgets.
>>>
>>>My encryption solution for SQLite is not bound to wxWidgets in any way.
>>>You may as well use it completely independent of wxWidgets (or my
>>>component wxSQLite3).
>>>
>>>You may just take the source code of my encryption extension from the file
>>>release of wxSQLite3, combine it with the sources of SQLite itself,
>>>compile with just any C++ compiler to get a SQLite library or DLL
>>>supporting database encryption. Please read the readme file of wxSQLite3
>>>for further information.
>>>
>>>My extension implements two functions of the SQLite API, namely
>>>sqlite3_key and sqlite3_rekey (see sqlite3.h header file of SQLite), which
>>>are not implemented in the normal SQLite distribution. To use encryption
>>>sqlite3_key has to be called immediately after the call to sqlite3_open.
>>>That's all.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Ulrich

Best regards,
 Teg                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]