----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Schlenker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

set dataType [$db onecolumn {select typeof($colName) from $table}]

should do what you want. Note the {} instead of the "", which prevent early substitution, so sqlite can use the $colName as a bind variable.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yeah, I agree that makes sense from a Tcl standpoint. In fact, that's exactly what I started with. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as expected and just returns the following:

Error: near "$table": syntax error

So, the curly-braces are preventing the Tcl parser from substituting the vars (as they should), but then SQLite doesn't substitute the $table var for some reason. I guess I'm a bit unclear on exactly *what* SQLite is capable of substituting with regard to Tcl variables. It only seems capable of substituting variables in certain cases, or certain locations, or ??? I'm not sure.

I've found that if my table name is variable, I need for Tcl to substitute it instead of SQLite - which lead me to my original problem. Is SQLite's substitution working as expected? If so, can someone point to more documentation regarding SQLite's Tcl var substitution?

Thanks,

Jeff