Here is my exact sql as executed:
-----------------------------------
  This works
SELECT employee.empl_num
FROM employee
JOIN job_history
ON   job_history.empl_num = employee.empl_num
--------------------------------
  This does not work
SELECT employee.empl_num
FROM employee
JOIN job_history
ON   job_history.empl_num = employee.empl_num
AND  job_history.last_date = (
SELECT MAX(j1.last_date)
FROM job_history AS j1
WHERE j1.empl_num = employee.empl_num )
---------
Here is my error message
Error : SQL logic error or missing database
        no such column: employee.empl_num
---------
Here is my table layout
#
# Table structure for table: employee
#
CREATE TABLE employee ( empl_num INT(10) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, dept_id
VARCHAR(4) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'WMKR', username VARCHAR(16) NOT NULL,
first_name VARCHAR(22), middle_name VARCHAR(22), last_name VARCHAR(22),
addr1 VARCHAR(22), addr2 VARCHAR(22), city VARCHAR(22), state CHAR(3), zip
VARCHAR(10), country VARCHAR(4) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'USA', phone VARCHAR(17),
e_mail VARCHAR(40), password VARCHAR(16) NOT NULL, password_hint VARCHAR(50)
NOT NULL, dial_log_id VARCHAR(100) NOT NULL, pass_id VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL );
#
# Table structure for table: job_history
#
CREATE TABLE job_history ( job_num INT, empl_num INT , last_date DATE );