Look up "page rank algorithm", in particular the papers by Brin and Page, the Google founders.

Henrik Ræder wrote:
  Hi

  (First post - hope it's an appropriate place)

  I've been implementing a database of a few MB of text (indexing
magazines) in SQLite, and so far have found it to work really well.

  Now my boss, who has a wonderfully creative mind, asks me to implement a
full-text search function which is not the usual simplistic 'found' /
'not found', but more Google-style where a graded list of results is returned.

  For example, in a search for "MP3 Player", results with the phrases next
to each other would get a high rating, as would records with a high
occurance of the keywords.

  This falls outside the usual scope of SQL, but would still seem a
relatively common problem to tackle.

  Any ideas (pointers) how to tackle this?

  Best regards

Henrik Ræder Clausen
CD-rom editor
Komputer for alle

Jidoka Development   Hougårdsvej 29   8220 Brabrand   Denmark    Tlf +45
2611 5842