>.For the record, Apress had the index generated by a third party. I've
>used the index myself recently, and frankly it worked for me -- I
>found what I was looking for.

>The SQL and C API references to which you refer --- taken from the
>on-line documentation --- start on page 365. Furthermore, the
>inclusion of this material was and has been considered useful by
>everyone who reviewed the book, as it serves as an authoritative and
>succinct reference. Many technical books include a reference similar
>to this as a convenience to the reader.

>I devoted 100 pages on the subject of SQL. I tried to systematically
>and progressively describe SQL so that someone completely unfamiliar
>could read the chapter in order, and by the end of the chapter
>understand topics such as 3NF, left outer joins, and the intricacies
>of NULL.

>For an average programmer who needs to use SQLite, I hope this book
>can save a lot of time whether you are a unfamiliar to or experienced
>with SQL or the SQLite API. I wrote this book purely because I like
>SQLite, wanted to help get the word out, and someone presented me with
>the opportunity to write a book. Once I decided to write it, I went to
>great lengths to write a book that would be genuinely useful. Apress
>has put a lot of time and effort into making this a useful book as
>well.

>As I said in the book, and I think on this list, I am always open to
>suggestions and feedback. If you really feel the book has failed you
>in some way, or missed an important topic, I would like to know about
>it so I can try to make it better should it ever make it to a second
>edition. While I have many other things going on in life just like
>everybody else, it is important to me that the book serves its
>purpose, and I am more than happy to take whatever efforts required to
>do so.

>-- Mike

I wish remark that my message should be interpreted in its context; it is
and advise to somebody for what the acquisition of the book can suppose a
great economic effort.

In other circumstances the advice can be different.  Go ahead that, in my
case, I have never acquired a book  the one that cannot say that I have
learned something, or that it didn't contain something valuable that had not
found in any other one.

I also want to pick up your's offer to add some personal suggestion in this
respect (IMHO):

*  Eliminate the part devoted to the SQL generalities.  In my opinion, the
buyer of a book whose title is "The Definitive Guide to SQLite", doesn't
want an introduction to the SQL; for that there already exist good manuals,
even in the Web.  In the best case, a chapter dedicated the SQL
"peculiarities" of SQLite.

*  I'm not against cut and paste the SQL reference or the C-API from the
on-line manual  (it is really a convenience for the reader), but include an
example, that can be synthetic and not commented, in each epigraph. This
gives true utility.

*  Say goodbye to the index subcontractor, and as an idea: Why not a
mini-CD, or a downloadable file with the index? (editors: thought in that,
but please, not patent it, the idea is mine :-))

*  More and more and more... code examples

Finally, if you wants a gift for the hearing, I will tell You that indeed, I
find some parts stupendous.  For example, the epigraph "The thing called
NULL", or the explanation of the supported data types (Storage Classes;
Manifest Typing, and Type Affinity).  All the chapter 5 "Design and
concepts"; chapter 6, "The Core C API"; chapter 7, "Extension C API", and,
of course, the chapter 9 "SQLite internals".  These last chapters should be
more cared and enlarged, because it is the core of the book.

Greetings.

A.J.Millán
ZATOR Systems.

P.D: excuse my English.