>How does your hack improve upon [3200]?
>
>   http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/chngview?cn=3200

That looks like essentially the same fix I use, and in fact (based on
old correspondance with you 6/4/2006) I think you derived it from
a file I supplied.    I don't regard it as a real fix, just a
statitistically good way to paper over the problem.

>Is there something that the SQLite core can do better?

I'm not enough of a windows guru to know if there is a better
way to make sure the journal file behaves as a private resource
for sqlite.