On 3/13/07, T&B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi All,

I come across a fair bit of source data in summary format, where the
one field's values are used as a heading for a group of records for
which it applies. For instance, this shopping list:

Aisle       Product      Cost
Dairy
             Milk         $2
             Cream        $1
             Cheese       $3
Bakery
             Sliced       $4
             Rolls        $3
             Cake         $2

How can I select the data from that table of 8 records so that the
result is this table of 6 records?:

Aisle       Product      Cost
Dairy       Milk         $2
Dairy       Cream        $1
Dairy       Cheese       $3
Bakery      Sliced       $4
Bakery      Rolls        $3
Bakery      Cake         $2

this is a programming problem and not necessarily a SQLite problem.
Nevertheless, you don't specify how you are getting this summary
data... are they in a database? are they just a text file? Are they
XML?

You could create a schema out of this normalizing aisles and products

CREATE TABLE aisles (aisle_id, aisle_name);
CREATE TABLE products (product_id, product_name, product_cost, aisle_id);

and go from there with

SELECT a.aisle_name, p.product_name, p.product_cost
FROM products p JOIN aisles a ON p.aisle_id = a.aisle_id

you will have to figure out how to get your source data into the
SQLite schema you create, but that should be trivial depending on your
programming environment.

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation http://www.osgeo.org/education/