Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stef Mientki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Pragma table_info(), why no fields like UNIQUE,
AUTOINCREMENT

> > You should also consider how your change might effect
> > backwards compatibility.  The last time that table_info()
> > was modified, the Ruby-On-Rails community got really
> > upset.  I'm rather of a mind to leave table_info() alone.
> >
> Forgive my ignorance, I'm just a beginner in databases,
> but what about TABLE_INFO2 ( ) ?
> (with the explicit restriction that it can be extended in the future
> when needed,
> so Ruby users leave it alone ;-)
> I really can't imagine that extension of a function can cause serious
> compatibility issues)
>
> The alternative is now that I've to
> - build a table from table_info()
> - query sqlite_master, to get the SQL string with which the table was
> generated
> - parse the SQL string from sqlite_master
> - and add it to my edit grid form table_info
> or are there simpler ways ?
>
> --
> cheers,
> Stef Mientki
> http://pic.flappie.nl

A small opinion on that matter: what I would really like to see is something
like system tables. Today sqlite uses only sqlite_master to keep information
about its objects and parsing is required to getter better info of each
object (if one needs to). Using other system tables to keep information
about each object seems very appropriated since most RDBMS already implement
that and it is compatible with SQL ANSI. I think it shouldn't be much of a
problem since sqlite engine already parses each object when it opens a
database. This would remove the need for PRAGMA commands and would make life
much simpler.

Just a thought.

Best Regards,

Crercio O. Silva / DBTools Software