Hello,

  I'm getting this error sometimes when calling a single SELECT
  statement via sqlite3.so library while (I guess) cron daemon is
  updating the same table with the sqlite3 command line tool like:

  buildsqlcmd | sqlite3 /path/database.db

  where buildsqlcmd is a simple utility that outputs something like
  "INSERT INTO table ... VALUES ...;"

  but, as far as I understand, sqlite must handle the database access
  correctly delaying the SELECT query for a few seconds until INSERT
  is completed. is it true? how can I fix the "database is locked"
  behavior?

  my system is fedora core 1 with some updates and kernel 2.6.16.
  sqlite built from 3.3.13 sources. no one has access to the database
  except the cron and a web application written on Parser which only
  calls a single SELECT via sqlite3.so library. sqlite access code can
  be seen here:

http://cvsview.parser.ru/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/sql/sqlite/parser3sqlite.C?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

--
Best regards,
  Dmitry Bobrik             sqlite on bcsoft dot org