Derrell.Lipman wrote:

> Chris Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> I don't think that your original solution solves that problem either.  You
> first posted this schema:
>
>> My schema looks as follows:
>>
>> CREATE TABLE rawfen ( fen VARCHAR(80) );
>> CREATE INDEX rawfen_idx_fen ON rawfen(fen);
>
> but you didn't indicate that rawfen_idx_fen is a UNIQUE INDEX so it won't
> complain if there are duplicate strings.  To accomplish this (but not
> solving
> your timing issue), you need this:
>
>   CREATE TABLE rawfen ( fen VARCHAR(80) );
>   CREATE UNIQUE INDEX rawfen_idx_fen ON rawfen(fen);

I probably should have made this more explicit, but in sqlite, every row has
a unique identifier named rowid, which exists even if it isn't explicity
declared in the schema, and I was depending on that.   If you declare a
PRIMARY KEY, then this replaces rowid.

Of course, it's probably better practice to explicitly declare the primary
key, but anyway, that's where I was going with it.

Thanks,
Chris