Dan Kennedy wrote:

Even using the prepare_v2() interface, the database handle error-code
and error-message (the stuff returned by sqlite3_errcode() and sqlite3_errmsg() respectively) are not populated by sqlite3_step(). After sqlite3_step() reports an error you need to call either
sqlite3_reset() or sqlite3_finalize() to copy the error-code and
message from the statement to the database handle.

Thanks for clearing that up Dan. I changed Vivien's test code to show this - rc is set to 19 and the sqlite3_errXXX functions do return the "wrong/right" thing before/after the sqlite3_reset. I still think the docs imply something else though, but it's been one of those weeks. ;)

Martin