"Dennis Volodomanov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One more question that I was pondering upon - does the order of rows and
> their placement in the table matter at all when using indexes (provided
> indexes are used correctly)?

I don't really understand the question...

> Oh, and another :) Would such a statement use both indexes or just one?
>
> CREATE INDEX indexA on tableA (columnA, columnB, columnC)
> SELECT EXISTS (SELECT ROWID from tableA WHERE columnA='a' AND
> columnB='b')

The indexA index will be used to resolve the query above, and
nothing else.  The tableA table is never consulted.

To resolve the query above, SQLite does a binary search through
indexA looking for an entry that matches columnA and columnB.
It then returns 1 or 0 on success or failure.  tableA does not
come into plan.

--
D. Richard Hipp  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>