On 4/11/07, Martin Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Lloyd wrote:
> hi Puneet and Martin,
> On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 14:27 +0100, Martin Jenkins wrote:
>> File system cache and plenty of RAM?
>>

> It is meant to run on an end user system (eg. Pentium 4 1GB RAM). If you
> mean Swap space as file system cache, it is also limited, may be 2GB.

I was just wondering what the odds were of doing a better job than the
filing system pros, how much time/code that would take on your part and
how much that time would cost versus speccing a bigger/faster machine.

I think, looking from Lloyd's email address, (s)he might be limited to
what CDAC, Trivandrum might be providing its users.

Lloyd, you already know what size your data sets are. Esp. if it
doesn't change, putting the entire dataset in RAM is the best option.
If you don't need SQL capabilities, you probably can just use
something like BerkeleyDB or DBD::Deep (if using Perl), and that will
be plenty fast. Of course, if it can't be done then it can't be done,
and you will have to recommend more RAM for the machines (the CPU
seems fast enough, just the memory may be a bottleneck).

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation http://www.osgeo.org/education/