--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Joe Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > It may be more difficult to implement this in a backwards-compatible
> > > way such that older versions of SQLite can rollback a journal created
> > > by a newer version if it encounters one.
> >
> > I wonder if there are many projects that have different versions of
> > SQLite updating and reading the same database file at the same time.
> > This can't be very common.
> >

> As we learned from the release of 3.3.0, this is more common
> that you might expect.  There are surprisingly many projects
> that expect to be able to access SQLite databases from both
> older and newer versions of the library.

It's not quite the same thing - the 3.x file format change was not
backwards compatible _at all_ with previous versions of SQLite.
Having a large degree of backwards compatibilty makes all the difference.

Changing the journal file format to accommodate a hypothetical new
feature would still produce a backwards compatible database _except_
in the rare case where a transaction in a new version of SQLite is
abruptly aborted or if the power fails. If the transactions are finished
you would still have backwards compatibility with previous versions.

But I still think that simultaneous read/write access to the same database
file with different version of SQLite is not very common.