Flash memory is for read only access on a continuing basis but has a certain number of write cycles to use for load it with data. For example you might use it for backups or for loading and distributing software or playing music but if you use it like a disk drive it will hit its write limit after a certain number of writes and updates and fail.

Look to the detailed specs of the card you are using to get exact details.

By "general processing" I meant the way you use a disk drive and subject it to repeated writes and updates, not just reads.

Joel Cochran wrote:
John,

What do you mean by "general processing"?  The database is on the CF card,
the application accesses the database. Other than what application normally
do (select, update, insert, etc.), I'm not sure what else to tell you.

Or do you mean over the course of the lifetime of a CF card it can only be
used so much?  That might apply to this scenario, these cards have been
written over continuously for the last 6 months.

Joel