Why not use a "where member_id = '4567373'?

Gilles Roy wrote:
Given a arbitrary statement, I need to find out which row a specific result is in, as efficiently as possible. The arbitrary statement can order the results any way it wants.

For example, imagine statement X which returns a column of memberid. They can be ordered by first name, last name, date, etc. If I want to find out where (which row) memberid 4567373 stands in the result of statement X, what is the most efficient way?

Currently, the best way I can think of is:

"SELECT memberid from (X)" and bring all of the results into my application and then iterate through all of the results in a for loop, looking for the memberid 4567373. It seems inefficient.

Is their a better way? It would be nice if there was some kind of statement that could return where a specific memberid was in the results of another statement.

Thanks,
Gilles