Kasper Daniel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Having said that, I can understand that sorting and disk cache and so
> on factors in - but my initial database is already very large (1.3GB
> - 145.000.000 milion rows), and surely that disk cache would already
> factor in at that stage?

As long as your table does not contain out-of-order indices,
each new row will be inserted at the end.  So the last few
disk pages will be in cache and everything will go quickly.
It is when you have to start inserting at random places in
the middle of the database - on disk pages that are not
cached - that things slow down.

--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>