Thanks Igor,

A custom function was exactly what I needed :-)

Best regards,
Jonas

On 5/25/07, Igor Tandetnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jonas Sandman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>> ext1 is one type of extension, in my case 'mp3'. I guess it doesn't
>> make
> sense when you have only one, but potentially there can be a lot more
> there. ('mp3', 'ogg', 'flac') etc...

And how exactly do you plan to specify such a list in a parameter?

> Unfortunately, "COLLATION STRIP_ACCENT LIKE" doesn't seem to trigger
> anything either.

First, it's "COLLATE", not "COLLATION". Second, LIKE doesn't use
collations. Note that a collation doesn't convert one string to another,
it just tells how two strings should be ordered. This information is
useless to LIKE.

What you probably want is a custom function, not a custom collation. A
function would take a string and return another string, with accents
removed. You can then use it like this:

select * from tableName
where StripAccents(field) = value;

Igor Tandetnik