>> What exactly happens when I change the cache_size (both increase and
>> decrease size)?

> A variable is set.

It seems this term is a misnomer. What are we achieving by setting this
variable?

This is what is mentioned in the documentation of SQLITE:

PRAGMA cache_size;
PRAGMA cache_size = Number-of-pages;

Query or change the maximum number of database disk pages that SQLite
will hold in memory at once. Each page uses about 1.5K of memory. The
default cache size is 2000. If you are doing UPDATEs or DELETEs that
change many rows of a database and you do not mind if SQLite uses more
memory, you can increase the cache size for a possible speed
improvement.

So without allocation extra memory how can I increase the size of
cache_size?

>> What happens to the data that's there in the result cache at the time
>> when the instruction PRAGMA cache_size = 0 is executed?

> Nothing. The aforementioned variable is set to 10 instead of the
> specified value.

>> Will there be any memory that will be freed up when I reduce the size
of
>> result cache?

> No.

So whats there in this cache?