On 6/28/07, Nuno Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

One thing I noticed is that "collations" != "case change". This will
not make it possible to use UPPER/LOWER with the same data on the
table, but maybe we can work on something in that respect, also.

If the intent is case-insensitive comparisons a la LIKE, note that
"upper" and "lower" operations alone won't suffice, because in some
scripts a single character maps to multiple characters in one
direction.  Unicode defines a "case folding" operation for such uses,
which does full expansion no matter which direction it is
(lower->upper or upper->lower), allowing the result to be handled with
a simple memcmp()-style binary comparison.

It should certainly be possible to cover those operations too, it's
just as nuanced as the collation work :)