Chris Peachment wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:52:40 -0700, Gerry Snyder wrote:

Chris Peachment wrote:
I have a database with more than 200,000 records in the
core table. An update table of similar record count contains
a proper subset of the core table columns.

I'm looking for a fast method of merging the values in the
two tables such that :

1. core table columns are updated, and
2. non-existent core records are inserted from the update table.
Will  INSERT OR REPLACE  do what you want?

Gerry

Regrettably no. When an existing core record is found then it
is deleted before the insert. That means that all columns are
given new values and not just the ones to be updated.

Chris
You do have to specify all the columns, but you can set the unchanging columns to what they already are. I don't remember the exact syntax, but it can be done.

Gerry