Hello,

I am evaluating sqlite 2.x for use in an embedded
system in which the maximum number of simultaneously
open files is severely limited.

To be precise, only 32 files can be open at the same
time system-wide; of these, only 8 can be application
level files.  I need to ensure that this is enough to
run sqlite.

When I open a database, I use up one open file:

     test.db

During a transaction, I notice that the journal file
is open as well:

     test.db
     test.db-journal

In addition, I sometimes notice a temporary file (and
its associated journal):

     test.db
     test.db-journal
     sqlite_<15 random chars>
     sqlite_<15 random chars>-journal

I have the following questions:

(1) Under what condition(s) is the temporary file shown
above created?

(2) Is it possible to have *more* than one temporary file
created?  If so, under what condition(s)?

(3) Are these temporary files created for each connection
to the database?  In other words, do more connections require
more open files?

(Reminder: I am using sqlite version 2.x.)

Thanks in advance,
- Richard