Mark Spiegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I take this to mean that paged-aligned sector I/O will always be used
> for all the DB types.  Will there ever be an I/O to a DB file that will
> not follow these rules.

When first opening a database, 100 bytes are ready from the very
beginning of the database file.  Part of this header tells us how
big the pages are.  The initial read is page-aligned but it is not
a read of a complete page, obviously, since at that time we do not
know how big the page is.

Otherwise, I think all database I/O is of complete pages.  There
might be an exception for updating the change counter in the header.
I'd have to check.

> What about the journal types?  Will their I/O
> be sector sized and aligned I/O as well?

No.  Journals are mostly sequentially written, increasing the
file size as it is written.  There is a sector-sized header
at the beginning of the journal that is skipped at first
and then overwritten at the end.  If the cache spills,
this sector-sized header might also be repeated at various
points in the middle of the file.

--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>