--- Uma Krishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm a student trying to understand SQLite for my DB project. There are a
> couple of aspects that
> I don't quite understand:
> 1) VDBE. I see how the vdbe stack is created using VDBEAddOp etc. But once
> the code is
> generated, I don't see when it's executed. Moreover, is it typical to have an
> implementation
> like VDBE in other databases as well?

Search for sqlite3VdbeExec. It is called by sqlite3Step.

The best way to understand the code is to step through sqlite3
example SQL statements with a debugger. Then follow up by reading the
source files involved.

I've heard that FoxPro used to JIT its queries in x86 prior to
executing them, but I don't know if it's true.

> 2) VIRTUAL TABLES.  Why should the shared_cache be disabled when using
> VIRTUAL TABLES?

No idea. I've asked the same question myself. I would think it would
be desirable to use FTS[123] with shared cache in a multi-threaded
web server scenario.

I suppose you could uncomment the code that prevents shared cache
running with virtual tables, run it, and see what breaks.