[Default] On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:00:52 +0100, "Michael Ruck"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I did specify UNIQUE for category. The id is also kept, so everything is
>working
>*except* that I don't get the id of the record ignored from
>sqlite3_last_insert_rowid().
>
>Mike

You could simply do a
        SELECT id FROM categories WHERE category = '<yourvalue>';
to retrieve the id.
After the (ignored) INSERT the database pages with the relevant
parts of the BTree for the UNIQUE index on category will still
be in memory, so the SELECT will be fast.

For even more speed you can prepare the SELECT statement during
the init of your program, and bind to the appropriate values
every time you need it, so it doesn't have to be parsed every
time.

Regards,
--
  (  Kees Nuyt