--- Richard Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In implementing xLock in a VFS, do we need to worry
> about lock counts, i.e. nested locking?
>
> In other words, if a process asks for, say, a SHARED
> lock, and he already has one, should we increment a
> SHARED lock count?  Or is it okay to just return,
> i.e. to treat the request as a no-op?

See comments for unixLock() and unixUnlock() in os_unix.c.

/*
** An instance of the following structure is allocated for each open
** inode on each thread with a different process ID.  (Threads have
** different process IDs on linux, but not on most other unixes.)
**
** A single inode can have multiple file descriptors, so each unixFile
** structure contains a pointer to an instance of this object and this
** object keeps a count of the number of unixFile pointing to it.
*/
struct lockInfo {
  struct lockKey key;  /* The lookup key */
  int cnt;             /* Number of SHARED locks held */
  int locktype;        /* One of SHARED_LOCK, RESERVED_LOCK etc. */
  int nRef;            /* Number of pointers to this structure */
};

  /* If a SHARED lock is requested, and some thread using this PID already
  ** has a SHARED or RESERVED lock, then increment reference counts and
  ** return SQLITE_OK.
  */
  if( locktype==SHARED_LOCK &&
      (pLock->locktype==SHARED_LOCK || pLock->locktype==RESERVED_LOCK) ){
    assert( locktype==SHARED_LOCK );
    assert( pFile->locktype==0 );
    assert( pLock->cnt>0 );
    pFile->locktype = SHARED_LOCK;