--- Igor Sereda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How does the size of the whole database affect queries to a single table?

You should consider the fragmentation of the tables you are querying
in addition to the total size of the database.
Compressing the blobs prior to table population might be worth trying
as well.

Running vacuum will ensure the rows of each table and index are
contiguous if you can afford to do it. I'm not sure whether an
incremental vacuum will prevent table fragmentation.

> How about separate DB just for large texts? Would that be an
> overkill? We could use different page sizes for the two DBs. I'm not sure
> how well transactions over several DBs are handled though.

It may be faster. There are too many factors (hardware, application
logic, your SQL). The only way to know for certain is to time the
various strategies.