> I just tried (hadn't noticed that option before) to go from
> 2000 to 4000 and 8000, without noticing any difference. I
> might try next week to raise the page size to 50k and see if
> it makes a difference?

On the presumption the Sqlite allocates new pages on the page boundary I
would suggest you use multiples of the file system page size. I believe
(but I could be wrong) both Linux and Windows NTFS defaults to 4096
bytes. If you chose 4,500 bytes in this scenario, for every call to
retrieve one Sqlite page, it would require two calls to the OS. For
whats it worth, when I did some performance testing a few years ago I
recall there was no significant differenence using larger page sizes on
a standard desktop machine but your mileage may vary.

On a related note I do remember that when I was testing large reads (1M,
10M , 100M) using a single 'fread' call compiled in MSVC 2005 on Windows
XP SP2 it had an interesting side effect in the fact that it performed
the function by calling a lower level API multiple times with a size of
65,355 bytes, regardless of the original size requested in 'fread'. I
believe this can be shown using the file system tools from SysInternals.
Therefore I suspect there will be little-to-no benefit of page sizes
greater than 64kiB on Windows XP.

Nick