Or you will need to get a faster disk drive! And more of them.

  Consider a raid 0 system using striping. High speed fiber connects will also
be helpful.

  Can you do a test load to a memory database. What is the performance
(row/sec) of your data using an in memory database?

  Is that a burst rate or a sustained data rate?  You need to achieve about 70k
rows per second to be able to maintain 66k rps.

  Maximum TPS is 60 on a 7200 rpm drive. A 15000 RPM drive should get about
120, which is double the TPS. So maybe a faster drive would be helpful.

  Ken

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  James Steward wrote:
> > Michael Ruck wrote:
> >
> > I know that a natural join exists, but it is not automatic as
> > it seems to be in MySQL.
>
> Thanks , and thanks to all who replied to my questions.
>
> I've been testing SQLite's speed, for inserting the type of data I
> gather from the field. I've tried encapsulating multiple inserts
> between begin and commit statements, fiddling the pragmas
> and with both Tcl and C interfaces, even using a RAM disk to
> store the database file.
>
> I can receive up to 2,000,000 records in about 30 seconds from
> the field, and I can't seem to jam them into an SQLite database
> any faster than about 100 seconds at best, on my system.

SQLite will do about 50000 inserts/sec on my Linux workstation.
Doing 2 million in 30 seconds is going to be pushing the
envelope. You should probably consider a different solution.

--
D. Richard Hipp