Tom Parke wrote:
>From what I think I have learned so far, if I call sqlite3_exec() giving
it a call back function and a select * from tbl, I do not have any
direct access to the column values other that the text representation in
the values char array from within the callback()?

That's correct.

This leads me to the question, how is the data actually stored in the
file?
Or

If I use a sqlite3_prepare_v2() and sqlite3_step() and int myvar =
sqlite3_column_int(), am I getting a converted text string?

That depends on how the columns was declared, and how the data was inserted into the database. For an integer column you would be getting the integer value that is stored in the database. If you called sqlite3_column_text() for the same column, SQLite would convert the integer to a string (this is what sqlite3_exec() does when it builds the string arrays to pass to the callback function).

See http://www.sqlite.org/datatype3.html for more information.

HTH
Dennis Cote