--- Ken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Doing this in oracle results in an error:
>
> SQL> select max(addr_id), emp_id from z_address;
> select max(addr_id), emp_id from z_address
>                      *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00937: not a single-group group function

As expected.

> I think an error is more appropriate when there is no group by clause. But as
> a developer I know
> better, and write aggregated sql with a group by.
>
> select max(addr_id), emp_id from z_address group by null;
>
> Does not return an error nor does it return data.

The GROUP BY NULL thing is not standard, which is why I qualified it
with for sqlite. It varies from database to database.

 -- mysql, sqlite
 select max(a) from t group by null;
 select max(a) from t group by '';

 -- postgres
 select max(a) from t group by +0;

Oracle may or may not have an equivalent.