On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, L. S. wrote:

Why doesn't SQLite 3.5.4 compile under FreeBSD 5.3? Can it be done in a sane manner?

AFAIK, it just works, but you may require the -lc_r option to include the re-entrant (threadsafe) C library with your linked executeable ...

How can I link against SQLite under FreeBSD 5.3, using gcc?
Is there any way that I could just link the source files into my code?

* Using "./configure" and "make" with "sqlite-3.5.4.tar.gz", I got tcl and tcsh errors. * Using "sqlite-source-3_5_4.zip", with "tclsqlite.c" removed, I got pthread errors. They went away with "gcc ... -lpthread", but compilation still failed. * I think "sqlite-amalgamation-3_5_4.zip" produced the same errors as sqlite-source-.

I have compiled, installed, linked, and used it on other systems, but cannot do the same on my FreeBSD system. (I don't use the FreeBSD ports; I like to just download and build.)

Moi aussi, but I have *NEVER* had a problem with SQLite on FreeBSD, including 3.5.4 ... Of course I *ALWAYS* install Tcl/Tk first, and am happy to use the tclsqlite bindings which result ...

Again, when you link your C code to the libSqlite.so, just add the -lc_r
option, and you can delete the -lpthreads unless you are actually using pthreads, in which case you will likely need both -lpthreads *AND* -lc_r
or surprises may result.

Apparently, the -lc_r requirement is new with 3.5.4, and my query on this list has been met with silence thus far, so I cannot advise you further. Apparently the db engine has been re-worked somewhat (extensively) with this release, and I suspect that changes eminate from that code, but I haven't had time to investigate ...

HTH,

Rob Sciuk