From reading the documentation I see that sqlite seems to have a very
smart locking mechanism going on under the hood, regulating concurrent
access by multiple applications.  Unfortunately, the designers of
another application with which I share a database have decided to
cache data internally, so that the only safe access is when that other
app is not running.

That's easy enough to detect with API from the OS, but a conflict can
still occur if they launch and start reading while I am in the middle
of writing something I don't want to stop.  I need to lock the
database so that they get SQLITE_BUSY until I'm done.

How can I manually lock the database using the C API?  I can't find
any "lock" function.

Thanks,

Jerry Krinock