Just to quantify a cartisian join is a join operation that returns the product
of the rows. So in the example given

episodes  8
foods        100
food_episodes 800

episodes e1, foods_episodes fe1, foods f, episodes e2, foods_episodes fe2

Result rows = 8*800*100*8*800  = 4,096,000,000 rows... (over 4 billion rows!)

As you can see Cartesian joins get out of hand very quickly.

P Kishor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On 3/21/08, Derek Developer  wrote:
> In trying to break my code with the seinfeld database examples, I found this.

Derek,

You are going to get much better help from the list, not to mention
that you will probably get further with your "code breaking," if you
provide some more background to your question. For example, what on
earth is this "seinfeld database example" that you are talking about?

>  SELECT f.name as food, e1.name, e1.season, e2.name, e2.season FROM episodes
> e1, foods_episodes fe1, foods f, episodes e2, foods_episodes fe2
>  Why does this put SQLite into an endless loop?

Probably because there is no JOIN clause causing a cartesian join
across 5 tables.