My web application is a mix of PHP code and an Apache C Module.  Both
access the same SQLite3 database.  Because of this, I am using the
shared version of the PHP SQLite library and the Apache C module is
dynamically linking, as well.  The Apache C module only connects to
the database during an admin request, which does not happen all that
much, normally the Apache C module is checking access and serving up
images.

One of my customers is experiencing a major performance problems.  I
am running on a Pentium IV 2.8 GHz machine and it can serve up 12
images real fast, my customer has a Duo Core 1.8GHz machine and it is
taking 45 seconds!  I am thinking that maybe it is the SQLite code
that is causing problems.  Once I open the database in the Apache C
Module, should I keep it open for the life of Apache?  I am not right
now, I open and close for every query.  Is there anything special I
should be doing in PHP to optimize the performance?

Sam