Is it possible to open multiple connections to an in-memory database?

I have an application that gets a db handle with
sqlite3_open(":memory"). If another thread in the application were to
make that same call, would it get the same handle, another handle to
the same in-memory database, or a handle to a new in-memory database?

So far, I have been using a mutex in my application to share the
single handle, since concurrent accesses will be rare. However, I
would like to be able to support 2 transactions in parallel, which I
don't think I can do with a single connection - I get a nested
transaction error if I try (which makes sense).